Where Am I (And Where Am I Not?)

At the start of any course these days, I am always a lurker. I don't engage immediately because I need to read the ground rules, figure out what is going on and hopefully engage my brain before my mouth (or my fingers.) When I was younger I used to engage right away, without knowing the rules sometimes with very good results but not always. As with any medium where we are engaging with fellow learners, we're human, we make mistakes and we are, oh, so fallible. Just because it is digital doesn't mean that it won't be painful, shake up some complacency, make you question your beliefs and wonder why. Just because it is not physical, doesn't mean that when you stub your brain against that mental door jamb it doesn't hurt. Challenging your preconceptions does that.

So when I look at the image below of who I was engaging with on January 27th, it makes sense that I only have a few tweets, that the people I am engaging with are people who are a known quantity to me and have a history of creating a safe and welcoming climate to explore an open digital environment. You are in good hands fellow alchemists!

Once I was hooked up to #netnarr (and dogtrax kindly confirmed this!) I looked at all those lonely satellites and thought, "Ah I need to reach out," and started following some members on Twitter (not all yet, sorry!) of #netnarr. I will do this throughout this week. Because that's what you do when you are travelling into spaces and thoughts yet unknown, on a dark highway to explore digital alchemy together. May we all transform!
#netnarrJanuary27  The Magic Mirror 

Comments

  1. I think maps like that can be helpful. I am one of those who dive in. But I try to keep an eye on the outliers, too, if I can, to make sure they feel invited. We talk a lot about this in CLMOOC and beyond -- of how to honor those who need time to see what they might be getting into and creating entry points as invitation markers. Alan and Mia are also adept at this (the dailies is a good model for how this might work, from a a teacher/facilitator point). I'm glad you are here.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin, a great way to dive back in! (more like walk in slowly!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts